Friday, July 24, 2009

Another image of the hole in Jupiter's atmosphere

I ran across the best image I've seen yet of that hole punched in Jupiter's outer atmosphere, discovered on 19 July. To see it, try this link..http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/main/jupiter-hubble.html
Still not a lot of information about the object itself, but it appears it may have been as large as several football fields, and probably a piece of a comet or an icy asteroid.

One of my engineers here at the station keeps me up to date on the latest developments and images, and I'll pass them along to you. (It makes it an exciting time to teach astronomy!!).

Oh, he also brought me this statistic...your odds of being struck by lightning are 576,000:1, but the current odds that a comet or meteoroid will strike the earth and cause global catastrophe in the next 100 years is 5,000:1.

On to other items...I'm not the only mike madson out there. One of the other ones online is my son, Mike Jr. who's fantasy novel, "The Lady in White" is about to be published. His blog is www.michaelmadson.com, for much deeper thoughts than you'll get from me, as he polishes off his undergraduate degree, moves on for his Masters, and heads full-tilt for his PhD.

Final thought..I celebrated another birthday on the 16th and celebrated with a potpourri of my favorite foods...corn dogs, pork rinds, cosmic brownies (the ones from Little Debbies, not the other kind) and Coca Cola bottled in Mexico....Before you bemoan the lack of "organicness" (my own new word, what do you think?), keep in mind that this is the diet that has gotten me to AARP age, and I'll probably outlive you. Yes, it was OUTSTANDING. (Now, all I need to make the celebration complete is a good "all you can eat" Chinese (sort-of) buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment