Saturday, July 18, 2009

Great app for your iPhone or iPod Touch

To take you back to a MUCH earlier blog, back in the Spring, I decided that I needed some kind of portable game platform for a quick 5 or 6 minutes of mindless diversion in between teaching and broadcast assignments. After lots of suggestions from you, students and fellow NewsFirst5'ers, I picked up an iPod Touch (16 GB model) because of the promise of lots of development in the recreational department...and I haven't been disappointed.

I generally find the apps to be well-written, lots less expensive than games for other platforms (say, for example, the Nintendo and Sony PSP offerings), and some are just plain outstanding.

That leads to the suggestion for today. One of my students in Astronomy tipped me off to a gem called "planets"...and it's free.

Load it up, and you can see the position of solar system bodies in the sky at any given moment (as long as you have wifi), pull up a chart showing when the sun, moon and visible planets will rise and set (and where), pull up globes of Earth, the moon and visible planets and use your finger to rotate them to see more features, and more.

This would be a great application if you had to pay for it, and for free, it's tough to beat.

Just go to the app store, search for "planets", and see if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment